s p a t i a l
..is an electronic musician and multimedia artist from London whose work pushes the dynamics of sound system culture incorporating low frequency vibration, hacked code, and optisonic experiments. An unconventional artist in the turbulent realm of bass music, Spatial combines a preoccupation with emergent behaviour, rule based repetition and chaotic systems with an ability to shape dubbed out, cracked and reductive sonics into audible geometric form. Through textured intricate production, Spatial’s releases and live sets bring corporeal presence carved out with a minimalist’s scalpel.
With echoes of haunted dancehalls and distant raves coursing through his sound, spatial subverted the UK bass scene by releasing a limited 10” on his newly christened infrasonics imprint in late 2008.
The expansion of dubstep’s horizon with a technoid garage hybrid combined with the minimal aesthetic of the design and information reticence proved compelling in an age of categorisation and communication overload. The record was all but sold out prior to the official release date.
He expanded his reach during 2012 – 2013 with a batch of releases on Well Rounded, Stillcold, Niche & Bump and WNCL. He signed to Ultramajic in 2014 as an outlet for unfettered and impulsive club material with a well received 4 track release that gained global airplay.
Since it’s inception in 2012, spatial has continued to develop the home coded Primitives opti-sonic performative installation which has shown at festivals including Supernormal, Wire magazine’s Off The Page, Naples Independent Film Festival and renowned venues such as Cafe OTO and Apiary Studios.
Infrasonics rebooted in 2015 with the Emergence series of 12”s, each accompanied with a generative visual designs released via the Internet.
2015 also saw the debut performance of Breaching Transmissions – a new audiovisual collaboration with expanded cinema artist Sally Golding at the Melbourne International Film Festival.
- Ombrion [5.1] – Leerraum CD, 2018
- A music of sound systems RMX – Infrasonics digital, 2017
- A music of sound systems – Infrasonics 2*12”, 2017
- Emergence #3 – Infrasonics 12”, online generative art, 2016
- Emergence #2 – Infrasonics 12”, online generative art, 2016
- Emergence #1 – Infrasonics 12”, online generative art, 2015
- Primitives – Broken20 DVD, 12”, films, code & software, 2014
- Circlon – Ultramajic, 2014
- Spatial EP – WNCL Recordings 12”, 2012
- The Slammer EP – Niche & Bump Records 12”, 2012
- The Spatial Sessions – Stillcold Records 2 * 12”, 2012
- Deconstructivist Dubs – Well Rounded Records 12”, 2012
- Corti – Schmorgasbord Records 12”, 2011
- Spatial – Infrasonics CD, 2011
- Infra004 – Infrasonics 10”, 2010
- Infra003 – Infrasonics 10”, 2009
- Infra002 – Infrasonics 10”, 2009
- Infra001 – Infrasonics 10”, 2008
- Cafe OTO: London, 2015, 2017
- Filmwinter: Stuttgart, 2017
- Sonica: Ljubljana, 2016
- Mutek: Montreal, 2016
- High Zero: Baltimore, 2015
- MoTA Gallery: Ljubljana, 2015
- Unsound Festival: NYC, 2011
- Bar Soma: Brisbane, 2011
- Unsound Festival: Poland, 2010
- Freerotation: Wales, 2010, 2009
- We Fear Silence + FACT mag: London, 2010
- Dubwar: NYC, 2010
- Club Transmediale, Berlin 2009
- Netaudio Berlin: 2009
- Algorithmic Art Assembly: San Francisco, 2019
- Broken20: Glasgow, 2018
- Cafe OTO: London, 2018
- Unconscious Archives Festival: London, 2017
- East End Film Festival: London, 2017
- Splice Festival: London, 2017
- Serralves Museum: Porto, 2016
- Fort Process: Newhaven Fort, 2016
- Skanu Mesz: Riga, 2016
- Sonica: Ljubljana, 2016
- Contact Festival: London, 2016
- E-FEST: Tunisia, 2015
- Melbourne International Film Festival: Melbourne, 2015
- Breaking Convention: London, 2015
- Wire Magazine Off The Page Festival: Bristol, 2015
- Naples International Film Festival: Naples, 2015
- Supernormal Festival: Oxfordshire, 2014
- Apiary Studios: London, 2014
- Cafe OTO: London, 2013
- SHAPE Platform: 2016
- Apiary Studios: London 2009 to 2018
- Museum Of Transitory Art: Ljubljana, 2015
- Apiary Sessions: Apiary Studios, 2014 to present
- Unconscious Archives: Cafe OTO, Apiary Studios. 2011 to present
- Netaudio London Festival: Roundhouse, KOKO + various venues, 2011, 2008 & 2006
- Michel Chion & Ghedalia Tazartes : Cafe OTO, 2011 (SAM/OTO commission)
- Terre Thaemlitz: Cafe OTO, 2011
- Jerome Noetinger, Call Back The Giants, Helm: Cafe OTO, 2010
- Graham Lambkin, Bill Kouligas, Lee Gamble: Cafe OTO, 2010
Radio play & DJ Mixes
BBC Radio 1 & 6, Rinse FM, Triple J, NTS, Sub FM & Resonance FM.
Click here for hi-res images and press clippings. Includes support from The Wire, Resident Advisor, Thump, Dazed, Tiny Mix Tapes, Mixmag, FACT, IDJ, De:Bug, Stray Landings and XLR8R.