s p a t i a l
..is an electronic musician and multimedia artist from London exploring low frequency vibration with physical intervention through DJ & live performance on Sound Systems and via recorded media, the structural occupation and perception of opti-sonic transmissions through home coded audiovisual installations and the emergent behaviour of chaotic systems by simple rule based repetition through generative design.
With echoes of haunted dancehalls and distant raves coursing through his sound, spatial subverted the UK bass scene by releasing a limited 10” on his newly christened infrasonics imprint in late 2008.
The expansion of dubstep’s horizon with a technoid garage hybrid combined with the minimal aesthetic of the design and information reticence proved compelling in an age of categorisation and communication overload. The record was all but sold out prior to the official release date.
He expanded his reach during 2012 – 2013 with a batch of releases on Well Rounded, Stillcold, Niche & Bump and WNCL. He signed to Ultramajic in 2014 as an outlet for unfettered and impulsive club material with a well received 4 track release that gained global airplay.
Since it’s inception in 2012, spatial has continued to develop the home coded Primitives opti-sonic performative installation which has shown at festivals including Supernormal, Wire magazine’s Off The Page, Naples Independent Film Festival and renowned venues such as Cafe OTO and Apiary Studios.
Infrasonics rebooted in 2015 with the Emergence series of 12”s, each accompanied with a generative visual designs released via the Internet.
2015 also saw the debut performance of Breaching Transmissions – a new audiovisual collaboration with expanded cinema artist Sally Golding at the Melbourne International Film Festival.
- Emergence #1 – Infrasonics 12”, online generative art, 2015
- Primitives – Broken20 DVD, 12”, films, code & software, 2014
- Circlon – Ultramajic, 2014
- Spatial EP – WNCL Recordings 12”, 2012
- The Slammer EP – Niche & Bump Records 12”, 2012
- The Spatial Sessions – Stillcold Records 2 * 12”, 2012
- Deconstructivist Dubs – Well Rounded Records 12”, 2012
- Corti – Schmorgasbord Records 12”, 2011
- Spatial – Infrasonics CD, 2011
- Infra004 – Infrasonics 10”, 2010
- Infra003 – Infrasonics 10”, 2009
- Infra002 – Infrasonics 10”, 2009
- Infra001 – Infrasonics 10”, 2008
- High Zero: Baltimore, 2015
- MoTA Gallery: Ljubljana, 2015
- Unsound Festival: NYC, 2011
- Bar Soma: Brisbane, 2011
- Unsound Festival: Poland, 2010
- Freerotation: Wales, 2010, 2009
- We Fear Silence + FACT mag: London, 2010
- Dubwar: NYC, 2010
- Club Transmediale, Berlin 2009
- Netaudio Berlin: 2009
- Contact Festival, London 2016
- E-FEST, Tunisia 2015
- Melbourne International Film Festival: Melbourne, 2015
- Breaking Convention: London, 2015
- Wire Magazine Off The Page Festival: Bristol, 2015
- Naples International Film Festival: Naples, 2015
- Supernormal Festival: Oxfordshire, 2014
- Apiary Studios: London, 2014
- Cafe OTO: London, 2013
- Apiary Studios: London 2009 to present
- Museum Of Transitory Art: Ljubljana, 2015
- Apiary Sessions: Apiary Studios, 2014 to present
- Unconscious Archives: Cafe OTO, Apiary Studios. 2011 to present
- Netaudio London Festival: Roundhouse, KOKO + various venues, 2011, 2008 & 2006
- Michel Chion & Ghedalia Tazartes : Cafe OTO, 2011 (SAM/OTO commission)
- Terre Thaemlitz: Cafe OTO, 2011
- Jerome Noetinger, Call Back The Giants, Helm: Cafe OTO, 2010
- Graham Lambkin, Bill Kouligas, Lee Gamble: Cafe OTO, 2010
Radio play & DJ Mixes
BBC Radio 1 & 6, Rinse FM, Triple J, NTS, Sub FM & Resonance FM.
Click here for hi-res images and press clippings. Includes support from The Wire, Resident Advisor, Thump, Dazed, Tiny Mix Tapes, Mixmag, FACT, IDJ, De:Bug and XLR8R.